Savvy Business Village – Venture Mentors:
Are you an experienced entrepreneur, industry / corporate professional and/or expert looking to contribute to the growth of Small & Medium Sized Enterprises (SMEs) in South Africa and the rest of the African continent? Why not spend an hour or 2 sharing your connections, business and industry insights with SMEs working with Savvy Venture Partners?
We are looking for mentors to join our Savvy Business Village programme and assist our potential and portfolio (investee) companies to grow. If you are currently exposed to or have previous experience working in one or more of the following 6 industries we would to get in touch with you:
- Retail and FMCG
- Agriculture and Food Markets
- ICT (Info, Communication and Tech)
- Financial Services and Innovation
- Housing and Construction Solutions
- Healthcare & Education
To apply to become a SBV Mentor please complete this APPLICATION FORM or email us at email@example.com and we’ll take the discussion further with you.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS…
How does the mentoring process work?
Once you have enrolled, SBV will arrange for your first mentoring session. Your first meeting will be with the primary objective of understanding the entrepreneur / venture’s current situation. The discussion is likely to be wide-ranging in order to gain as complete a picture as possible and to identify the most critical action areas. Based on the information developed, SBV may bring in additional mentors and your mentor team will evolve over the next few sessions. Meeting frequency is up to you.
It is important for participating entrepreneurs to realize that mentoring services are educational only. All business decisions remain under the full control of the participating entrepreneur.
- MENTORING PROGRAMME:
Each venture in our SBV programme is paired with a suitable mentor and we continuously monitor the progress of the mentor interventions with the venture / founders to ensure required objectives are met.
Our Venture Mentors can get involved at two levels:
(A) VOLUNTEER MENTORS:
- Mentors are linked one-on-one with participating venture.
- Minimum time commitment by volunteer mentors:
- Half day training (once-off);
- At least two hours per month for mentoring;
(B) FRANCHISE OF SPECIALISTS:
- The panel consists of industry specialists across various sectors. They are called on when necessary by the mentor to address specific issues pertaining to a venture being mentored.
- They also may be requested to run a short workshop or address the founders from time to time.
- Time required is adhoc.
2. How are mentor matches arranged?
The formation of a relationship between a mentor and entrepreneur is purely voluntary. The mentors with the help of SBV assign themselves depending on their interests or areas of expertise. Though SBV / SVP is responsible for matching appropriate mentors and entrepreneurs, the decision to form a relationship remains with the prospective mentor and entrepreneur.
3. How can Corporates benefit from mentoring SMEs & emerging black-owned businesses?
- Companies may avail several hours of their staff per year to our Venture Mentorship Program. Through assisting others, mentors get to feel their contribution to the growth of the SME sector and direct benefits to the economy.
- However there are also tangible ways (via Enterprise & Supplier Development element of the B-BBEE Codes) corporates can benefit:
- Meeting the Empowering Supplier requirement where at least 12 days per annum of productivity is deployed in assisting Black EMEs and QSEs beneficiaries to increase their operation or financial capacity. Once this requirement is met, QSEs are recognised as an Empowering Supplier for scorecard purposes.
- The amount of time spent by a large company’s staff is calculated (based on the staff member’s salary or commercial hourly rate of the professional) and converted into contribution amounts for ESD / B-BBEE Score-card purposes.
4. How else can mentors benefit from the programme?
Our mentors have the option to invest in and participate in the growth of the ventures by:
- Opting to co-invest with Savvy Venture Partners in any of the ventures we look at / that go through the programme; OR
- Investing in our Savvy Venture Funds at more favorable terms be negotiated on a case-by-case basis.
5. How do I apply?
To apply, complete and submit our Application Form. All identified proprietary information provided by applicants will be kept strictly confidential by SBV / SVP. Any accompanying materials can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org – We will review your form and if addition information is required, we will contact you.